Edmonton veteran suffering from effects of mefloquine fighting the federal government

Article content continued

He was given a new case manager, but not until after April 1, 2019, when policy around veteran compensation changed. Scott said he is currently losing out on more than 50 per cent of funds for which he was previously eligible.

“There’s supposed to be no disparity between a veteran who had benefits and services under pensions for life … They said that it would be just as good or better,” said Scott.

Scott said he has made various appeals to tribunals and the Veteran Affairs ombudsman. He has also launched a negligence case against the department.

“I’m not the only one. This could become a class action in the future. As of right now, it is not. It’s just me personally doing this, but I know that there are other veterans that are looking to seek resolution,” said Scott.

Veterans Affairs said they could not comment on individual cases due to privacy. Josh Bueckert, a spokesman for the department, said veterans can have their funding decisions reviewed by the department. He said they can also appeal to the veterans appeal board and to the office of the ombudsman.

Edmonton-Strathcona MP Heather McPherson called the handling of Scott’s file shameful in a news release on Monday.

“This isn’t the way the government should treat people who have put their lives on the line for us,” said McPherson. “Our veterans fought for us. Their government shouldn’t be fighting them in the courts.”

McPherson wrote to Minister of Veterans Affairs Lawrence MacAuley asking for a ministerial inquiry. She said she received no response.

View original article here Source