City homicide investigators continue to look into two cases in as many days after human remains were found in a west-end alleyway on Thursday and a body was found in a downtown apartment on Friday.
Police said on Friday that human remains were discovered Thursday morning in an alleyway behind a west-end apartment complex near 93 Street and 149 Avenue.
On Monday, any sign of a police presence in the alleyway behind El Prado Apartments, 9230 149 St., had disappeared. On one side of the gravel alley are apartments and their respective parking lots. City dumpsters line the alley every few feet, some with garbage spilling out of the top. On the other side are fenced-off backyards to a number of homes. One property is undergoing construction.
An autopsy on the remains discovered in the alley Thursday has been completed, but the results have not been released due to investigative purposes, say police. On Monday, police spokeswoman Patrycja Mokrzan would not say if the case is a confirmed homicide or a suspicious death.
The case was followed by the discovery Friday of a man’s body at the Valley Green condominium complex, 9329 104 Ave. The condos are set back from a quiet tree-lined street and face a number of townhomes. The 47-year-old victim’s death as of Monday was classified by police as suspicious.
An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday morning.
These latest investigations follow 18 confirmed homicides in the city so far this year. Postmedia includes officer-involved deaths in its homicide count.
2019 homicide map
Of the 18 cases, 10 do not have an accused, 16 have male victims, and two have female victims. Eight victims died of stab wounds, six died of gunshot wounds, two died of blunt force trauma and three have had the cause of death withheld.
- On Jan. 3 Devlin Neyando, 26, was shot and killed by Edmonton police near a home at 47 Street and 101A Avenue.
- On Jan. 5 Joshua Partridge, 20, was stabbed to death near an apartment at 124 Street and 110 Avenue. Martin Grey has been charged with second-degree murder.
- On Jan. 9 Enzo Campoli, 52, was found dead of gunshot wounds outside a home near 77 Street and 166 Avenue.
- On Jan. 18 Barbara Nelson, 59, died from blunt force trauma at a home near 61 Street and 120 Avenue.
- On Jan. 20 Gearárd Wright, 20, was stabbed to death outside an apartment complex near 104 Street and 24 Avenue.
- On Jan. 21 Manvir Singh Sidhu, 23, died from gunshot wounds at a home in Crabapple Crescent.
- On Feb. 26 Desmond Gordon, 42, was shot to death outside a home near 38 Street and 135 Avenue. Matthew Campeau has been charged with second-degree murder
- On March 22 Adrian Janvier, 35, was stabbed to death at a home in Lakewood Village. Yinyu Destivour has been charged with second-degree murder.
- On March 24 Abubeker Gemechu Abduraman, 26, (known to friends as Cisco) was shot and killed at Xhale Lounge, a Whyte Ave hookah bar.
- On March 28 Rose Cutknife, 48, was fatally stabbed outside the George Spady Centre, 10015 105A Ave. Clayton Berard has been charged with first-degree murder.
- On April 5 Tristen Cook-Buckle, 20, was killed but the manner of death has been withheld. His body was found in Vegreville.
- On May 7 Baljit Singh, 21, was stabbed to death outside the Lord Byron Townhouse complex, near 112 Street and Whitemud Drive.
- On April 27 Jamie Desjarlais, 26, died of blunt force trauma after there was an altercation outside a convenience store near 156 Street and 107 Avenue. His death was ruled a homicide on May 7. Christopher William Chase has been charged with manslaughter.
- On May 20 Catlin Helle, 26, was stabbed to death near 101 Street and 118 Avenue.
- On May 22 Curtis Patko, 36, was stabbed to death near 76 Street and 167 Avenue. Jesse Isaiah Rachar has been charged with second-degree murder.
- On June 7 Jeremy Morrison, 24, died near 96 Street and 106 Avenue. His cause of death has been withheld.
- On June 29 Bruce Windsor, 57, was an inmate at the Edmonton Remand Centre when he died. His cause of death has been withheld and no one has been charged.
- On July 8 Marcus Streete, 29, was stabbed to death near 89 Street and 144 Avenue.