Man arrested for serious 2013 assault at north Edmonton McDonald’s drive-thru

A man was arrested in Chilliwack, B.C. this week and charged in connection with a “serious assault” that took place at a north Edmonton McDonald’s drive-thru six years ago, police said on Thursday.

At about 2:40 a.m., on Jan. 1, 2013, a grey Pontiac Grand Am with three males in it was waiting in a McDonald’s drive-thru near Castle Downs Road and 153 Avenue, according to police.

Story continues below

“An unknown male suspect approached the vehicle and a physical altercation ensued where a knife was used by the suspect,” police said in a news release. “Witnesses intervened and the suspect then reportedly fled the scene on foot.”

Two people suffered serious injuries as a result of the altercation and police said for one victim, the injuries were “life-altering.”

Earlier this year, police released a sketch of a suspect wanted in connection with the attack in an effort to generate tips from the public.

On Tuesday, 31-year-old Benjamen Patrick Kozlovich was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

“The investigation can now be concluded with thanks to witnesses that came forward with important information,” said Det. Paul Kelly of the Edmonton Police Service’s Northwest Division.

EPS said the arrest was possible thanks to help from both the B.C. RCMP and the Abbotsford Police Department.